Roger Stone explains why he’ll be pleading the Fifth before Congress

New York Post – Roger Stone was his loquacious self during a radio interview Friday in which he discussed everything from his refusal to turn over documents to the House Judiciary Committee, his growing legal defense fund and his favorite Brooklyn eatery’s jarred sauce.

President Trump’s former political adviser and self-described political dirty trickster noted on AM 970’s “The Answer” that he is under a strict gag order in his criminal case.

“But I’m free to talk about the presidential campaign, weather, baseball, Michael’s of Brooklyn — which I gotta tell you has the best jarred sauce that I allow in my home,” he said.

Stone discussed his decision to invoke the Fifth Amendment and refusal to submit documents requested by House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler.

“Trump is guilty, he says, and now we just need to find the evidence. I call this a fishing expedition,” he said. “I don’t think Nadler has any evidence of Russian collusion or conspiracy or treason.”

He said he believes Nadler is trying to lay the groundwork for introducing articles of impeachment against Trump “in a rapidly left-wing Democratic House.”

“I have elected not to participate. I’m executing my Fifth Amendment right given the fact that I’m facing this legal proceeding in Washington,” he said. “I have no intention of going before this committee or supplying any documents whatsoever.”

Stone delivered his response to Nadler this week, after the chairman sent document requests to 81 people and entities as part of a sweeping probe into “alleged obstruction of justice, public corruption, and other abuses of power by President Trump.”

“Mr. Stone respectfully declines to produce any documents, and declines any potential invitation for an interview which may follow,” Stone attorney Grant Smith wrote in a letter to Nadler, obtained by Fox News. “The production of documents that may be responsive to this fishing expedition request would unquestionably be a testimonial act protected by the US Constitution.”

In January, Stone pleaded not guilty to obstruction of justice, witness tampering and making false statements to Congress as part of special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian meddling and possible collusion during the 2016 presidential election.

Stone was reminded in the interview of Trump’s statement in September 2017 that “the mob takes the Fifth.”

“If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” the president said at an Iowa campaign rally.

Stone, 66, sidestepped the question, saying only that he didn’t intend to “open another front here.”

He also discussed his online legal defense fund, which topped its $100,000 target last month ahead of his Nov. 5 trial date.

The fund was launched in December after Trump praised Stone for vowing to never “testify against” him as part of the Mueller investigation.

“I have to raise $2 million to mount the kind of vigorous legal defense,” he said, mistakenly noting that he has pleaded guilty to all charges before being corrected that he has done the opposite.

“I will not engage in a plea bargain,” he said. “I’m going to trial.”

Stone called the $100,000 amount a “drop in the bucket” and urged people to go to StoneDefenseFund.com to make donations, as he said about 33,000 people have already done.

Stone also bemoaned the fact that his website StoneZone.com has been taken down after 15 years.

“In the blink of an eye the web provider took it down with no explanation,” he said, adding that his fans can still go to StoneColdTruth.com, where he peddles his books, “Roger Stone Did Nothing Wrong!” T-shirts and other items.

Stone also weighed in on the president’s controversial attacks on the late Sen. John McCain.

“The mainstream media and political establishment are trying to enforce the narrative that John McCain had no blemishes. The acts and truth do not support that,” he said.

“I knew him to be a short-tempered, extremely volatile and very egocentric person,” he continued about the war hero and former POW. “I do think there was some elementary jealousy over the fact that Donald Trump, on his first try, was able to become president.”

He added: “On the other hand, I don’t see the value in disparaging those who have passed. I wish the president would move on to more productive pursuits.”

Follow: American Sovereignty News 0n Twitter Or Facebook

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close